Friday, March 03, 2006

Finding what she's good at


February 24, 2006

Tiffany - 37
Claremont, CA
2 children - girls (6) and (7)



I sit with great pride and satisfaction as I watch my youngest daughter flip and tumble and work on the beams and bars during her gymnastics class. Not because she is a natural and executes the movements with great ease, but, because of the very wide grin she has on her face as she does it. First Grade has not quite been the experience I would have hoped for. It is unfortunate because 1st grade is the turning point for all grades to come. Hopefully next year will be better. Hopefully she will get a better teacher who can motivate her. Hopefully she will enjoy it more and be more confident. Hopefully she will learn to think in terms of “I can" instead of "I can’t"

She is somewhat of a timid child with an endless amount of energy. Since she could walk we have watched her flip off the couch, off the bed, or anything else that she thinks is the proper height. She has no fear when it comes to leaps and bounds and flips, but, lots of fears when it comes to lots of other things.

This is the first class she has taken solo. Usually we sign both girls up for the same things; ballet, cheerleading, hip hop, girl scouts… etc. It was not until this year that we decided it was time for them to be separated. We needed to find something in which Ayanna could be successful, something to boost her confidence. Something she would love doing and do so with great pride. Something she could do on her own, without her big sister. Something she is good at.

I think we found it.

2 Comments:

Blogger upwords said...

Tiffany,
So glad Ayanna found something she enjoys. I feel you on the first grade experience. Keep having fun.
Mary

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the most difficult challenges in parenting for me has been school (my oldest child’s interactions with both teachers and peers) and activities.

Until I became a parent, I totally underestimated the power of engaging extracurricular activities. As I child, all I needed was a quiet corner and a good book, so I was a bit paralyzed by the reality that my son needed to engage in activities that often required a lot of money and always required even more time. Needless to say I fought it for years. But when I finally relented, I was thrilled to see the excitement in his eyes and the posture of accomplishment when he discovered that there were so many things that he could do very well. It has actually helped the school component as well (as much as I fought the logic of that in the beginning too)

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home