Thursday, February 16, 2006

A word from BMD's curator-mama



Cheers! I am thrilled that you have found your way to Being Mama Daily. In finding this site you have found a unique opportunity to talk shop, say your piece, let your mama-soul blow free in the breeze.

I am here because the experience of conceiving, bearing and raising children has pushed and pulled at my body, mind and spirit so that I looked up one day and found that I was wiser, more centered, braver and more beautiful for having donned the dress and made the trip. This realization has been and continues to be a process. I am here because I imagine that there must be other mothers out there with similar growing joys and pains.

Save for a few that I will mention shortly, there are no rules at BMD. No subject is off limits and any woman who is currently, or has in the recent or distant (especially distant as you surely have something to share) past, raised a black child, we want to hear from you.

Now, some people have asked, “Why women who have raised black children and not just black mothers?” It is for the same reason that I do most things; for my children. For our children. I want black children to finally and out loud, hear the voices of their mothers; the emotion and honest intention in our effort to raise them in a world that can shuffle from promise to pain in a blink. I want them to hear us say we love them and how sometimes that heals or hurts depending on the day. How nothing is more important than their safety and everything that we would give to ensure it, even when we feel threatened or afraid. I want them hear us and I want us to speak to them so that this generation and the next and all of those that will surely follow, will know that we did our best and even then, for us, it never seemed like quite enough. I want them to hear us say that we are human, but we recognize the divine task we have been given to care for their souls, even if only for a little while.


Now for the fine print. Below are a few rules that we must observe in order to make this forum effective:


1) If you read something that moves you, say so. Comments, feedback and general encouragement are so much of what keep us moving. We are after all, here to share.

2) Speaking of sharing, send in your journal entries. They do not have to be any specific length; short is as good as long. But if we do not tell our own stories, no one will ever know.

3) And finally, tell somebody about BMD. Send a link to a friend or a mass email to a bunch of mama-friends, then come back and listen. You will be changed and amazed by what you hear.

Best to you and yours always,

Jasai
curator-mama
Being Mama Daily

9 Comments:

Blogger upwords said...

Jasai,
I thank you so much for doing this. I have my entry written (while waiting in line shopping) but the care and feeding of a house full of sick folk have slowed down my sending it in. Funny, you just spoke of "donning the dress" and that's just what I wrote about. This is a good place. I'm glad to be here.

Peace,
Mary

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,

You make my heart sing. I feel I must call you friend, even from this distance. In your life (from what I can tell via online)you are that mythical broadstroke of courage we all aim to be. press on.

xoj

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am happy to be apart of this with you J. i love it!

next up...the print version!

~britni

10:21 AM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

yaay for being mama daily! what a blessing you are to and for women!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love coming here and reading the stories. The words are so heartfelt, and the pictures are a really nice touch.

Thank you so much!

9:04 AM  
Blogger alucas said...

Wonderful and much needed blog. I will make sure to tell my sista-mothers about it.

Blessings.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jasai:

I can't thank you enough for the space you've created here because my mother (and I'll say that most black women from my mother's generation) did not hand off her stories about her everyday frustrations, joys, successes, etc. but carried it on the inside. Every bridal and baby shower I've ever been to has been full of gifts, cake, decorations, and pastel ribbons but rarely does any real conversation surface about what motherhood (and wife-hood) will really mean in this young woman's life. We don't talk about it and hence, we are almost always delivered a shock to the system when the reality kicks in. This forum is necessary for our survival and I thank you. Just to know that we're not alone in this journey.

Bless you,

ANGEL

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angel, what you have said sums up the mission and purpose of BMD. It is high time we begin to "tell", "say" and "share".

We are here to fill in the gap; for those of us doing it now and all of us who will do it in the future. And so that our children will know our hearts and grow in its great shadow.

8:17 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton handbags, replica watches, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, cheap uggs, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots clearance, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, ugg outlet, oakley sunglasses, uggs, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home