Monday, February 27, 2006

Awakening


February 23, 2006

Kelly - 28
Columbus, OH
3 children - boys (10), (5) and (4)

Beep ) )
Beep ) ) ) )
Beeeep ) ) ) ) ) )

The alarm clock.

In response I turn over to quickly silence the sound.

Here we go again.

I once read in a magazine devoted to mothers that in order to conserve on time it is better to get fully dressed before you wake up your children. Obviously they didn’t have three cranky boys to get up for school. The complaining begins immediately, as I instruct each child to head toward the bathroom for their morning rituals.

“Mommy I’m cold,” says the bossy five year old which is immediately followed up with, “I don’t want to go to school today.”

Ha! like he has a choice in the matter. Not even diverted from my mission I continue to iron out clothes and gently prod them toward the bathroom. “Michael, get up!” I yell, with jus
t a hinge of intimidation in my voice as my ten year old continues to hide under the covers to avoid the glaring lights. I have to let him know I mean business, or he’ll go right back to sleep. Then there’s my four year old baby, who still tries to use his “naiveness” to fool me into thinking that he can’t do anything for himself. It varies from not being able to find his shoes to not being able to zip up his coat. Everyone at some point has had to assist Kolman in getting ready for school.

In the end we tend
to make it; usually on time. With a peck on the lips and a quick “have nice day”, “be good”, or “listen and follow directions”, they’re off to walk the hallways of school without me. And just like that, I can’t wait to see them again.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this, I feel like you must have been in my house, standing at the foot of my stairs this morning. Heck, EVERY morning!

10:54 AM  
Blogger A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

ooh this reminds me of the morning revolts my three siblings and I had growing up. My poor mother it's amazing that she never just out right blew a fuse~

12:17 PM  
Blogger upwords said...

That up-and-out thing is a mess, isn't it? This made me smile.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real work starts when I get home from what is called work, but compared to my real job seems more like a vacation. Here are just a few duties of mine (and probably most mothers) on my real job. Pick up the kids, cook dinner, clean up after dinner, help with homework, correct homework, talk to them individually about their day, give my two year old a bath, make sure my nine year old remembers the things I’ve taught her about cleanliness, clean up the bathroom, play with them, read them bed time stories, then bible stories, say our prayers, then get them off to bed. And all this is done in a span of two and a half hours. Did I forget to say that this is the day when there is no tennis practice or cheerleading practice or Bible Study? Then I must iron three sets of clothes for the next day. But before I can sit down and collect myself I must hurry to take the dog out.

Being a mother is hard work, but I could not imagine life without my children. My children bring me so much joy. I thank God for them. God must trust that I can handle life with children or He would not have appointed me to be their mother. So my conclusion is being a mother is the hardest job in the world but it has the greatest reward.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I scream in the morning. A lot. Are there any articles that can help me keep this to a minimum as I often get on my own nerves.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't come acros any articles to reduce screaming but I'm on the case!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my son is only 4 months and it's still pretty busy. in the mornings i try to get myself ready while he is sleeping. sometimes this works, usually it doesn't. if he's awake i put him in his bouncy chair & buckle him in, because now he is so wiggly it's crazy. if he starts crying i kindly tell he that mommy cannot pick you up. i have to brush my teeth. apparently, he doesn't quite care what i have to say, because he continues to cry.

so after i'm ready, i get his bag together. make sure there's enough diapers, formula, bottle liners, whipes, etc. etc. i wash his face & he acts as if i'm trying to drown him. gasping for air. this is funny to me, only because of how cute he looks. then i change his clothes, put on his blue hoodie & we're out. i can't imagine what we'll do when he starts to walk (read: run) around.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I feel your pain Kelz, I can't do a thing but laugh....you took me back about 15-20 years with this story. What's bad is that my children, as young adults, function the same way in the morning that they did when they were small children! It's a shame....LOL

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
»

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home