Saturday, February 18, 2006

What she'll see when she looks up

February 10, 2006


Deidre – 22
Los Angeles, CA
1 daughter (3 months)



When people say, “babies change everything” they are so right. Mostly.

My mother and I have never really been close. There have been times when I really needed her and she was too busy with work or her church. At times she has even suggested that I go to other people for help, so I didn’t expect her to be interested in my pregnancy. To my surprise she was.

Reluctantly I allowed her to be a part of my life and spent some time with her. I started to think that maybe I was important to her.

On November 3rd I called my mother to let her know that my daughter, Leah Rose had arrived.

Work # - No answer.

Cell # - No answer.

I kept calling...

I Gave up.

I called my dad. He was there in fifteen minutes. A few hours later I hear from my mother. She tells me she’ll be there after her vanpool gets her to Pasadena.

But not right away.

She has to go to Bible Talk meeting before she can come see her first granddaughter. I was amazed.

Kellie always first.

Am I ever on her radar?

5 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I think my daughter was kind of surprised at my wifes sort of uninterest in being grandma. But, our situation was kinda "special." Were all working to fix the situation.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As family is really all we have at the end of the day, working to fix any situation (even acknowleging the need for a fix) is the best first step.

9:44 AM  
Blogger upwords said...

Thank you for sharing this "mama hurt" with me. As one who came through that experience and now has children of my own, let me say that motherhood doesn't always make sense. We don't always respond as we should or like we even want to. Sometimes numb ourselves with people, places and things to keep from dealing with our own issues. Your mother loves you. Know that. :) Love your baby and give things time. Congratulations.

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...i can't imagine!

i'm so glad my mom & grandma are always there for me & my Little one...I pray that one day your mom takes a break & realizes what she's missing.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you, my mom did not want ot comoe to my baby shower, her only daughters first baby shower even when i had my best friend throw it in my hometown so especially so my mother could come. She said she did not have a gift and she could not show up empty handed although she just bought a $30 cell phone. She also did not attempt to come for the birth of my son although I was in labor for 23 hrs and she only lives 1 1/2 hrs away. I guess they will look up one day but my baby's two and my mother has not looked up yet, I pray yours does.

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home