Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Operation: Stepping into motherhood


February 20, 2006


Schunetta Burns-Wilson - 31
Pomona, CA
4 Step-Children: 3 girls (13), (10), (8) and 1 boy (4)



Wow, to be a mom....

I often wonder what it would be like. I watched my mother struggle as a single parent, doing the best she could with what she had. I often thought,"man oh man she is strong."

I have felt like a young mother at times when I had to watch my little brother; nurture him the best I could while she was away. She would always say "don't worry, just have a little talk with Jesus. It goes a long way." In those days I always told her that I would never call another woman mom. We even joked sometimes about step moms and I always commented, "steps are made to be walked on."

That was until July 31, 2004 when I became a step-mom to four beautiful children who adore me. This helped me realize that I am just that, a step for them. I want them to be able to take the right steps and avoid some of the pitfalls that I had to deal with. I want to help them with making the steps, to do even better than I did and step into every phase of their lives with their heads held high. I truly believe that God is preparing me for my own motherhood, which is to come soon -by faith I claim it.

Oh God, how awesome it is to be a mom. I can’t wait for the times that I can just look into the eyes of what you have made through me, and praise you for all the opportunities that I have to love them. I will do my best to give them back to you as my mom has done with me.

4 Comments:

Blogger upwords said...

Thank you for sharing this and for being the "steps" for the children you have now and the new children coming to your family. I love your mama's heart.
Mary

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a step-child. There is something inherently "other" about it. I belive this is so no matter the circumstance. It is wonderful that you embrace your role in their lives and remind them often how much they mean to you.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a step-child also. Funny, I never give myself that title. He was always just my dad. I am eternally grateful. And I miss him tremendously.

9:48 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

rolex watches, ugg, canada goose, thomas sabo, sac louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, marc jacobs, moncler, louis vuitton uk, swarovski crystal, barbour, canada goose outlet, abercrombie, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, barbour, moncler, ugg, pandora charms, louis vuitton, links of london, converse shoes, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, moncler, wedding dresses, hollister, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, gucci, moncler outlet, ugg, toms shoes, juicy couture, moncler, ugg boots, canada goose, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, karen millen, air max, ray ban, coach outlet store online, converse, canada goose, sac louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, vans, sac lancel, moncler

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home