Monday, June 12, 2006

A Mowhawk Mentality


Ama - 30
Raleigh, NC
1 son (3)


I have a nearly three-year old. Anyone that has witnessed the phenomenon of an almost three-year old, has to sympathize with me, at least a little; he's a tyrant. Nothing is shared properly. He's tempermental and emotional--one moment we are laughing about something he did or said and in the very next breath he is crying because he didn't want to take a nap three hours ago. Anyone that's seen an almost three-year old must sympathize.

Anyone that's seen MY almost three-year old is at first shocked that he can talk the way he does, in clear and plain English, stating facts about his surroundings concisely. He speaks
to every single person we pass in the grocery store or Target, and will often ask their names before telling them his and asking when their birthday is. He wears his pride on his sleeve. And he wears his attitude on his head.

Both my husband and I were sporting locs before it was popular and still were when I got pregnant and for at least a full year after my son was born. We were used to the attention our hair would sometimes bring us. We weren't ready for HIS hair. My son's hair grew in naturally stylish - in a trendy, thin, mohawk-type way. It stuck straight up as my hair seems to, but was thick and curly at the roots like his father's.
He seemed to grow into this fashionable hair, refusing to wear hats, bullying other children (if necessary) and doing whatever he wanted (that includes vomitting in my hair if the mood passed him). We'd hear comments about Mr. T and "what hair!" constantly.

I've never met a child so open to the world, so fearless and observant. He's got this bad boy look, with this wonderful person attitude. He doesn't care if he "rocks and rolls" and he wants to be a drummer. People of all sorts stare at him, some pity him for the terrible parents he's somehow inherited. They shake their heads at me, as if I was just seen driving down the street with him in the driver's seat or as if I just dropped him (almost). What I've come to understand is that its not normal for an almost three year old to know that he likes something that means something different to so many people, but if they take a moment to talk to him, they get it...he's got a mohwak mentality...and I think he knows it.

13 Comments:

Blogger Trula said...

Awwwwww! I just posted something about my mohawk baby girl. This is too precious, he sounds like a treasure!

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwww!

i wondered what my son would look like w/ a Mohawk.

so far, my almost-8 month old, has a HUGE (and i mean huge) AFRO! (and he doesn't have any empty/bald spots either) the FIRST thing people see when they see him is his hair. i often joke that the only thing i can see when he's in his carseat are his hair & feet.

sidenote...

for those of us w/ babies w/ a lot of hair. what do you put on it? i can't just wash it & let it be because it is so thick and curly. for months i was at a loss. i started using adult products on his hair. now i used Hair Milk (Carol's Daughter) & Twi Hair Oil. i figured it has to be a lot healthier than using adult products because these are all natural. plus they define his curls & keeps it shiny.

any other suggestions?

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son is graduating from 5th grade next week and has informed me that he wants a mohawk for graduation. As he is generally not one to buck convention and blaze any trails, I was happy to hear him say this (NO ONE else in his school would dare!) I hope when he actually gets it done he feels as confident as he sounded when he asked for it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Icey said...

"Mohawk Mentality" I LOVE IT!!
Rock On!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Trula said...

o's mommy...try a little almond oil. after washing it rub half a teaspoon on your hands then rub it throughout his hair. Braid it and once it's dry, take out the braids and finger-comb his fro out.

1:01 PM  
Blogger soledadsista3 said...

O's Mommy,
I was going to say that the Carol's Daughter was all I ever used on my son's hair when it would grow out. My father, a barber suggested olive or almond for longer hair.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks ladies. i use the Twi hair oil from Carol's Daughter & the Hair Milk. it has worked pretty well so far. i'm just glad they sell it in Sephora now, cuz i dont like in bklyn anymore.

Trula...not sure about the braiding. he won't sit still long enough (he's 7 months old).

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o's mommy - try a small amount of vaseline on his hair when it is wet. My twins had lots of hair as babies and when I washed it, I rubbed vaseline into the palm of my hands (as if lotioning my hands) and then I rubbed my hands on their hair to add sheen and to soften it.

To this day, my girls have "big hair", like Rudy Huckstable on the Cosby Show. Their hair rocks! They are 10 years old and they love their "kinky" hair.

Strangers walk up to them and touch it; babies of all ethnicities reach out and touch their hair when we are standing in line. Whether they wear ponytails (which look like big, long afro-puffs) or wear their hair down in the back (which looks like a long afro-puff)with a ponytail up on top, their hair is gorgeous and they love it.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwww!!!!!!!!!What a CUTE kid!!!!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY CUTE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger mai said...






شركة التفاؤل شركة نقل عفش بالدمام تقوم بعمل خطة متكاملة لـ نقل عفش بالدمام حيث تقوم بتجزئة عملية نقل العفش الى عدة خطوات كل منها مكملة للاخر لضمان السلامة التامة لكل المنقولات والممتلكات .
تتميز شركة التفاؤل شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام بفريق عمل متخصص ومميز يقوم بخدمات نقل العفش باعلى مستوى من الجودة والاتقان.
اقوى الخدمات بافضل الاسعار مع التفاؤل لـ نقل اثاث بالدمام
لا تقتصر خدمات شركة التفاؤل فى منطقة الدمام فحسب ولكن ايضا فى :

نقل اثاث
نقل الاثاث


شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام

شركة نقل اثاث بالقطيف

شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر

شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل

4:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

رش دفان
نقل الي قطر

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Cara Mengobati Emboli Paru said...

Thank you for the various information, hopefully useful for everyone

Pengobatan Atasi Masalah Dispepsia
Pengobatan Atasi Penyakit Fibrosis Paru

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home